Can I Get My Public Intoxication Charge Dismissed?
When most people think about drinking alcohol and possible repercussions, their minds tend to go to DUI arrests. After all, with the numerous campaigns against drunk driving, it is too easy to forget that there is another potential consequence of drinking alcohol — a public intoxication offense.
Did You Know That Being Drunk In Public Is Against The Law?
It is, according to California Penal code section 647(f). Based on the law, anyone who commits the following is guilty of a misdemeanor offense:
“Who is found in any public place under the influence of intoxicating liquor, any drug, controlled substance, toluene, or any combination of any intoxicating liquor, drug, controlled substance, or toluene, in a condition that he or she is unable to exercise care for his or her own safety or the safety of others, or by reason of his or her being under the influence of intoxicating liquor, any drug, controlled substance, toluene, or any combination of any intoxicating liquor, drug, or toluene, interferes with or obstructs or prevents the free use of any street, sidewalk, or other public way.”
You don’t have to be behind the wheel to get charged with a criminal offense — you simply have to be in public. Even though this infraction is considered a misdemeanor, it could still appear on your criminal record and ultimately impact your future.
It Is Possible To Get Your Public Intoxication Charge Dismissed?
There are many defenses when it comes to public intoxication cases. We are often able to obtain full dismissals for our clients accused of public intoxication. Not only does a dismissal help our clients avoid a conviction on their record, it also eliminates the possibility of jail time. As a result of our negotiation one of our clients had to serve only five days of community service for the alleged event.
If you have been accused of public intoxication in Los Angeles, know that there is hope. However, that hope will come with the help of an experienced Torrance criminal defense attorney like the partners at Ernenwein & Johnson, LLP.
Have you or someone you know been charged with public intoxication or any other crime? Contact Ernenwein & Johnson, Los Angeles and Orange County criminal defense lawyers, today at 424-552-3901 for a free case review.
- Violent Crimes
- Criminal Threats
- Elder Abuse
- Second-Degree Murder in California: Different than Zimmerman?
- Torrance Criminal Lawyers – Involuntary Manslaughter Defenses
- Murder Defenses In California
- Murder | Degrees
- What Can Be Learned About Your Defense
- Tips For Finding The Right Arson Lawyer
- Arson FAQs
- How To Fight Felony Arson Charges
- Child Endangerment
- Child Abuse & Child Endangerment | Resources
- Assault And Battery
- Assault & Battery Explanation
- California Assault And Battery Crimes
- Charged With Assault or Battery in Torrance, CA? What You Should Do if You Are Accused
- Weapons Charges
- Los Angeles Criminal Defense Lawyer: Carrying a Concealed Weapon
- Other California Weapons Charges
- Concealed Weapons
- Theft Related Offenses
- Auto Theft Defenses
- Petty Theft And Shoplifting
- Grand Theft vs Petty Theft
- Identity Theft
- California Identity Theft Law: Penalties And Defenses Available
- Facing Identity Theft Charges?
- White Collar Criminal Defense Attorney
- Identity Theft | Credit Card Theft
- Embezzlement Charges
- Charged with embezzlement?
- Embezzlement | Burden of Proof
- Sex Crimes
- Drug Offenses
- How To Avoid A Drug Crime Conviction
- Alternative Sentences For Drug Crimes
- Possession Of Drugs For Personal Use
- Possession Of Marijuana Laws
- Possession Of Marijuana For Sale
- Drug Possession For Sale
- Possession Of Methamphetamine For Sale
- Possession Of Heroin For Sale
- Marijuana Possession
- Marijuana Possession For Sale
- Possession Of Cocaine For Sale
- Attacking The Evidence In A DUI Case
- DUI DMV Hearing
- Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol | Vehicle Code 23152(a) & (b)
- DUI FAQs
- DUI Court Case
- DUI Reduction: Dry Reckless
- DUI Reduction: Wet Reckless
- DUI Reduction: Exhibition of Speed
- DUI Under 21
- The No Driving Defense
- 10 Common DUI Questions
- Real DUI Success Stories
- Social Media Could Hurt Your Los Angeles DUI Case
- The ‘Rising Blood Alcohol’ Defense
- What Happens When One or More Minor Children are Present in the Car When Arrested for DUI?
- You May Not Have Been Drunk When You Were Arrested for DUI in L.A.
- DUI-Related Reductions
- DUI-Related Enhancements
- Juvenile Defense
- Domestic Violence
- General Felonies And Misdemeanors
- Disturbing The Peace
- Accessory After The Fact
- Driving With A Suspended License
- Caught Driving With A Suspended License?
- Vehicular Manslaughter
- Texting And Driving – Distracted Driving Can Lead To Vehicular Manslaughter
- Vehicular Manslaughter | Resources
- Public Intoxication
- Can I Get My Public Intoxication Charge Dismissed?
- Tagging, Graffiti Can Lead To Stiff Penalties In Los Angeles
- Torrance Vandalism Lawyers Explain The Law & Your Defense
- California Vandalism Graffiti Law Penal Code 594
- Other Practice Areas
- The Criminal Court Process