Murder Defenses In California
Without a doubt, it is the job of Torrance criminal defense lawyers to act as advocates for your case. As such, it is important to work with criminal defense attorneys who are both knowledgeable and experienced when it comes to properly defending you.
First-degree murder defenses that can be used by a California-based criminal defense lawyer include:
No. 1 — Mistaken Identity Argument
In some first-degree murder cases, a mistaken identity” defense can be used. The criminal defense attorney would argue that the wrong individual was charged for the murder. To prove that the wrong person was in fact charged, the defense lawyer can offer an alibi. In addition — or if an alibi is not available — the attorney can provide evidence that proves that the defendant was somewhere else at the time of the killing, that another person killed the individual, that eyewitness testimony is flawed, that forensic evidence is flawed in some manner, etc.
No. 2 — Self-Defense Argument
In other first-degree murder cases, the criminal defense lawyer can use a self-defense argument. To prove a self-defense argument, however, the defense lawyer must show that the defendant used a timely and reasonable amount of force as defense. In other words, the force used by the defendant was proportional to the perceived threat.
No. 3 — Defense Of Others Argument
Another defense that can be used in first-degree murder cases is the defense of others argument. Once again, the criminal defense lawyer must prove that the force used by the defendant was timely and proportional to the perceived threat.
Of course, each individual case varies, and as your Torrance criminal defense lawyer, The Law Offices of Robert Ernenwein, PC., will determine which defense best suits your particular case.
Have you or someone you know been arrested on a murder charge? Contact Ernenwein to obtain a free consultation with an experienced Torrance criminal defense attorney!
- Violent Crimes
- Criminal Threats
- Elder Abuse
- Second-Degree Murder in California: Different than Zimmerman?
- Torrance Criminal Lawyers – Involuntary Manslaughter Defenses
- Murder Defenses In California
- Murder | Degrees
- What Can Be Learned About Your Defense
- Tips For Finding The Right Arson Lawyer
- Arson FAQs
- How To Fight Felony Arson Charges
- Child Endangerment
- Child Abuse & Child Endangerment | Resources
- Assault And Battery
- Assault & Battery Explanation
- California Assault And Battery Crimes
- Charged With Assault or Battery in Torrance, CA? What You Should Do if You Are Accused
- Weapons Charges
- Los Angeles Criminal Defense Lawyer: Carrying a Concealed Weapon
- Other California Weapons Charges
- Concealed Weapons
- Theft Related Offenses
- Auto Theft Defenses
- Petty Theft And Shoplifting
- Grand Theft vs Petty Theft
- Identity Theft
- California Identity Theft Law: Penalties And Defenses Available
- Facing Identity Theft Charges?
- White Collar Criminal Defense Attorney
- Identity Theft | Credit Card Theft
- Embezzlement Charges
- Charged with embezzlement?
- Embezzlement | Burden of Proof
- Sex Crimes
- Drug Offenses
- How To Avoid A Drug Crime Conviction
- Alternative Sentences For Drug Crimes
- Possession Of Drugs For Personal Use
- Possession Of Marijuana Laws
- Possession Of Marijuana For Sale
- Drug Possession For Sale
- Possession Of Methamphetamine For Sale
- Possession Of Heroin For Sale
- Marijuana Possession
- Marijuana Possession For Sale
- Possession Of Cocaine For Sale
- Attacking The Evidence In A DUI Case
- DUI DMV Hearing
- Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol | Vehicle Code 23152(a) & (b)
- DUI FAQs
- DUI Court Case
- DUI Reduction: Dry Reckless
- DUI Reduction: Wet Reckless
- DUI Reduction: Exhibition of Speed
- DUI Under 21
- The No Driving Defense
- 10 Common DUI Questions
- Real DUI Success Stories
- Social Media Could Hurt Your Los Angeles DUI Case
- The ‘Rising Blood Alcohol’ Defense
- What Happens When One or More Minor Children are Present in the Car When Arrested for DUI?
- You May Not Have Been Drunk When You Were Arrested for DUI in L.A.
- DUI-Related Reductions
- DUI-Related Enhancements
- Juvenile Defense
- Domestic Violence
- General Felonies And Misdemeanors
- Disturbing The Peace
- Accessory After The Fact
- Driving With A Suspended License
- Caught Driving With A Suspended License?
- Vehicular Manslaughter
- Texting And Driving – Distracted Driving Can Lead To Vehicular Manslaughter
- Vehicular Manslaughter | Resources
- Public Intoxication
- Can I Get My Public Intoxication Charge Dismissed?
- Tagging, Graffiti Can Lead To Stiff Penalties In Los Angeles
- Torrance Vandalism Lawyers Explain The Law & Your Defense
- California Vandalism Graffiti Law Penal Code 594
- Other Practice Areas
- The Criminal Court Process